The San Joaquin Pioneer and Historical Society needed to assemble a history gallery, yet was unfit to raise adequate assets. Robert McKee offered the gathering $30,000 out of appreciation for his significant other, Eila Haggin McKee, if the historical center would be named for her dad Louis Terah Haggin and in the event that they added a wing to house his craft accumulation. The exhibition hall opened its ways to people in general on 14 June 1931, Flag Day.
The main expansion pursued the demise of McKee’s better half, Eila, in 1936. Wishing to respect her memory, McKee gave the assets for extra area including extra room on the ground floor and a little vestibule and fundamental exhibition on the second. When it opened in December 1939, the later named “McKee Room” contained depictions, furniture, and beautiful craftsmanship from the couple’s New York living arrangement, and it neglected the rose greenhouse behind the historical center.
Following World War II, the gallery was by and by needing extra space for workplaces, stockpiling, and above all, for displays. In 1948 Stockton modeler Howard G. Bissell drew up designs for a 15,500 square foot expansion that would keep running along the western edge of the current structure. Important subsidizing for this expansion originated from the domains of Miss Jennie Hunter and Robert T. McKee, just as a critical blessing from Irving Martin Sr., proprietor of the Stockton Record. When it opened in 1949, the new wing contained eight new display zones.
The most recent expansion to the exhibition hall, finished in June 1976, was the aftereffects of a noteworthy blessing from William Knox Holt, the child of Benjamin Holt, Stockton’s most well known innovator industrialist. Notwithstanding the principle floor display space that pays tribute to Holt’s commitments, the expansion incorporates earth controlled storerooms, workplaces and the exhibition hall’s library/chronicle.